Lean Black Belts are experts in executing Lean projects. As a program manager they are responsible for managing complex breakthrough projects and supporting improvement teams with tools and techniques. They have both skills for applying analytical tools and skills for leading change.
Education level required: Higher vocational education / university level
The certification consists of a theoretical element and a practical element. The full Lean Expert certificate requires sufficient achievement in both theoretical and practical element.
Theoretical Exam Criteria
- 40 Multiple choice questions per paper
- 25 marks or more required to pass
- 120 minutes duration
- Open book: only Lean reference book and training handouts (no eBook or Pdf’s)
- Simple calculators are permitted for this exam
- The exam can be taken online and offline.
- The exam is available in English and Dutch
Practical Exam Criteria
- The project should have a significant impact to the organization. This means that it has a financial impact of € 20,000 on an annual basis or another relevant CTQ (like lead time) has substantially been improved.(A 5S implementation or a single Kaizen project are not adequate for submission).
- The project must follow the PDCA or DMAIC roadmap templates that can be downloaded from the LSSA website.
- The project should be signed off by the Champion to declare that the project has been carried out professionally and that improvements are achieved and sustainable.
- The language of the submitted project is English or Dutch.
- Each submitted project shall only have one Project Manager.
- The project must be submitted no later than three years after passing the theoretical examination.